Author: Ben S.

iPad Charging Station

I was tasked by the lower-school STEM department to create a cost effective, lockable charging station that would contain five iPads. It would need to be lockable using a master-lock or other similar device.  I needed to design construct and deliver whatever solution I developed in two weeks and under a budget of one hundred dollars.  So, like all contracted work, I failed to meet half of the requirements.

To start work on the project, I used a video chat software to discus the requirements of the project with the head of the lower school. Having completed my due diligence in the initial stages, I moved into the design aspect of the project. I started by identifying the problem; I needed an organized, self-contained and close-able space to store iPads. that additionally had room for chargers.

To accomplish these goals I could either find a pre-built container and re-purpose it for my needs or I could build my own. However under the time constraints I decided to buy a pre-built container.  I settled on a wooden box from Michles because it would be easier to modify. I would have the iPads placed horizontally into slots that support them.  with a charger under the support block with the slat holes.

When it came to production however, We faced delays due to negligence on behalf of myself and problems with the equipment.  I was overly focused on other smaller projects and failed to accurately identify how much time the project would take. Additionally we had problems with the lazer cutter adding yet more delays.

Opening Weeks

With the school year starting agin, the mLAB needed to open it’s doors. But this year there was much more on the plate. With the mLAB expanding over the summer we needed to fill this new space with things to do, places to be and new rules to govern over the users. Thus, in the opening weeks of school I was focused on the communication and preperation part of being a manager. I worked on introducing the new students to the equipment we have as well as using that equipment to create a mirage of signs.

In addition to this I had to work on the first and easiest engineering problem. I needed to hand a douple sided whiteboard over the entry way of the inclosed part of the mLAB. to accomplish this, I first instarlled two cleates in a vertical alluminum beam that would hold the hoist rope. After this was done, I tossed a rope over one of the exposed cieling beam and tied one end off to the cleats. Next I attached the second end onto the whiteboard by looping the rope through holes drilled in the whiteboard. However, after hhoisting the whiteboard into possition and despite the dual cleat setup it was decided the system was still unsafe. To rectify this, I instaled a stationary holder above the door.

© 2018 SAS mLAB

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑